When your website is SEO-friendly, it will appear in more relevant search engine results and drive traffic to your website. So if you are wondering how to create an SEO-friendly website, I will share five tips to get you started. Watch the video or just read the post below.
Tip 1: Create an SEO-friendly Website Structure
It is vital because it will help search engines to understand where your most important content is located.
It’s good to start by analyzing your competitors’ websites. Compare the navigation and the menu items to the ones you’re planning to list on your site. This will help you notice if you are missing any sections that might be important.
You can plan the site structure simply by drawing it out on paper or if you want to be a bit more advanced, use an online tool built for this purpose. Keep the user experience in mind from the beginning, it can also help with SEO.
In order to create a good structure, list the main product or service categories you want to offer to your visitors. You should create between two and seven main categories. And remember that each category should be unique.
And then, try to create roughly the same number of subcategories within each category. Ideally, your website structure should be balanced and consistent. And keep it simple.
Tip 2: Menu Labeling
You should use SEO-friendly language in your menus. When labeling your menus, try to think from the customers’ point of view: What would they type in the search engine when they are looking for a product or service like yours. If it’s too generic, they will never find your site.
So add some keywords to your menus. There are plenty of tools for searching the relevant keywords, but Google’s Keyword Planner is free and it will surely get you started.
Tip 3: Create an SEO-friendly URL Structure
A URL is the address of your website’s page that starts with www for example. And what your URLs look like is actually important for on-site SEO.
The URLs will relate to your website’s overall organization so you need to follow your website’s structure when you’re naming the URLs.
Here are some things to consider:
- Keep the URLs short and to the point
- Use your primary keyword in your URLs, but don’t add too many of them
- Avoid duplicates, each URL should be unique
- Note that Google recommends that you use hyphens (-) in your URLs and not underscores (_)
Tip 4: Site Speed
Google has said that a fast site helps you to rank better. Do not oversee the importance of a fast website. When you are building a site, keep at least these things in mind:
- Optimize images. In a nutshell, decrease the image size
- Choose universal browser-supported fonts. If you use a font that is rare, the visitor may not have it installed. And then in order to view your font, their browser is forced to download the font file.
- Do not use any plugins, codes, scripts that are not necessary
- Optimize your code by removing spaces, commas, and special characters. Don’t worry, there are tools that can do this for you.
- This is not a free tip, but if you pay more money for your web hosting package you will get a faster server response time. It may not matter that much in the beginning but once your site grows, you can look into it.
There are quite a few other tricks too if you want to investigate this more. And once your website is up and running, there are free tools for testing and analyzing your website’s speed. Do it and I’m pretty sure you will find things to improve.
Tip 5: Internal Linking
An internal link means any link from one page on your website to another page on your website. Internal links are vital for SEO because search engines won’t find a page if there are no links to it.
So be sure to add some blog posts, articles, or press releases to your site. And you can, for example, link new blog posts to the older ones – obviously, once you have more than one piece of content on your site.
When you start doing internal linking, the anchor text, which is the hyperlink you click on, acts like an ad that you send to the search engines. And the anchor text should encourage the visitor to click it but still sound natural. Use a keyword in them and don’t use the same word too often.
Take some time to set up an internal linking strategy for your website because it’s very important. Should you need help in creating an SEO-friendly website, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.